River West Fresno
The River West Fresno project will provide public access to 500 acres of open space and the San Joaquin River. Once complete, there will be a continuous trail from the River Center on Old Friant Road to Palm and Nees.
What's at Stake?
Here's a quick review of why the River Parkway Trust supports Alternative 1:
- Riverview Drive is a public road that leads directly to the existing entrance gate for the River West Fresno site
- Riverview Drive is not a residential street - there are no houses or driveways that face onto the road
- Riverview Drive was built to serve the 1500 home development planned for the site back in the early 1980s.
Here are the key points about Alternative 5b:
- Alternative 5b significantly disrupts Spano Park by building a road right through the center of it. Spano Park is the only City of Fresno park that directly overlooks the river.
- Alternative 5b requires the re-engineering of the bluff face to build a road down the bluff. The preliminary engineering cost estimate for this road is $5 million - and that doesn't include any land acquisition costs.
- Alternative 5b culminates in a parking lot on a former landfill that is privately owned. The owners of this landfill have offered to donate the site to the City of Fresno for approximately 30 years, but the City has refused to take it since it is a regulated landfill with associated environmental liabilities.
- Alternative 5b destroys approximately 20 mature Western Sycamore trees.
What's Happening Now
River West Trail Rendering On February 27, 2019, the Conservancy Board voted to direct staff to bring back the required findings under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) that would allow them to choose Alternative 1 for access to the site. This was a major triumph for all of us that want a faster process to a final project. It also means that Spano Park, the river bluff, and the mature Sycamores growing on the slope are at least temporarily safe. For more information about the meeting and outcome Click here to read our news blast.